Name: Kay Weston
Store Name: Image Essentials
How long has your store been open: 2 years
What do you sell: Poses and Props
1) Sl offers its residents a wide variety of opportunities for creation and design. What elements inspired you, to begin creating? (Detail what particular items you offer to the residents of sl)
Everywhere I look inspires me to create. I love to be able to manipulate things, or avatars (pose making), to push the boundaries of what is possible yet still practical. As a pose maker I learned quickly that there are limits that are far more obvious in a static pose than a pure animation. Being able to work within the boundaries that SL dictate and still make the poses look “real” is a challenge that is constantly tested.
2) Success is often the ability to turn obstacles into opportunities. What have been some of your greatest achievements since you began designing?
I had rented land off someone who was unscrupulous and stole a month’s tier. I took the opportunity to instead buy 1/2 mainland sim. Since then i have purchased the other two 1/4s on this sim and have turned the photo studios and store into a full photography experience.
3) Learning is a lifelong process, and none of us are expect from the lessons life teaches us. What has been the hardest things to overcome, and what lessons has it taught you?
Nothing comes without a price. You have to work hard for what you want. But make sure you enjoy your time in SL. Dont just lock yourself away, which a lot of creators tend to do, make sure you get out there and see what is happening. Networking is soo important and you can’t network if you don’t meet people and take part in things.
4) What are your plans for the future where your business is concerned?
My plan is simple. To keep creating quality product and run my own hunts and fairs to showcase the work of others.
5) Based on your own experiences, what advice would you offer to new builders, designers and content creators?
Explore. You will never know what your competition is unless you seek and find it. You will find things you like, things you don’t. Network with people and learn from them, whether it be from their mistakes or their successes. And remember. nothing just comes to you. You have to seek it. Just because you make something doesnt mean you will sell it. You have to find the right niche. Be creative, be original ánd team this with incredible customer service and people will keep coming back to you.
Kay’s Favorite Design?
“I loved creating the Bearable collection that contains 1 bear being held out on bended knee and the other being held once given by its recipient. All romantics love to able to receive something that lets them know they are loved.” says Kay about the totally adorable bears.
Image Essentials owner Kay Weston would also like everyone to know that she values her members and says:
“By joining the Image Essentials group you will have unlimited access to the props and poses that are set up in the studio area, free of charge. You will receive occasionally freebies from the stores onsite and you will be first to know about the hunts and fairs that we are a part of.”
Image Essentials is number 2 on the hunt path. Check out the photography gear and grab a hunt gift or two while you are there. The slurl is on the Merchant Hint page as well as in the sidebar embedded in the Image Essentials logo.